Using Competency-based education, all PATHWAYS courses are aligned with the Marks of Faithful and Effective Authorized Ministers developed by the United Church of Christ. As such, they aim to equip learners for lay, licensed, and ordained ministry in local congregations and other specialized ministry contexts.
PATHWAYS 1.0 (Level One) – Foundational
PATHWAYS Level 1 Program is open to anyone seeking a foundational theological training in theology, scripture, church history, spiritual formation, Christian ethics, religious pluralism, and practical areas of ministry including Christian education, worship, and pastoral care.
- L1.1 Making Sense of Theology
- L1.2 Understanding the Bible as a Progressive Christian
- L1.3 The Variety of Beliefs within Christianity Today
- L1.4 The Stories of Christian Saints and Sinners
- L1.5 Spiritual Care of Self & Others
- L1.6 The Art of Worship
- L1.7 Faith Practices for Children, Youth, and Adults
- L1.8 Pluralism & Religions in North America
- L1.9 Ethics & a Life of Meaning
- L1.10 Capstone: The Living Heart of Progressive Christian Theology
PATHWAYS 2.0 (Level Two) – Intermediate
PATHWAYS Level 2 Program is designed to equip licensed ministers and those seeking licensure in the UCC. Having completed the Level 1 Program or its equivalent is a prerequisite.
Year Three (15-month Program)
- L2.1 Intro to Spiritual Health (Pastoral Care)
- L2.2 Old Testament Hermeneutics
- L2.3 Small Church Administration
- L2.4 New Testament Hermeneutics
- L2.5 The Art of Preaching
- L2.6,2,7 UCC History and Polity I&II (12 weeks)
- L2.8 Supervised Ministry Practicum I Fall (9 weeks)
- L2.9 Supervised Ministry Practicum I Spring (9 weeks)
- L2.10 Supervised Ministry Practicum I Summer (9 weeks)
- L2.11 Leadership Within Communities
PATHWAYS 3.0 (Level Three) – Advanced
PATHWAYS Level 3, as a multiple paths to authorized ministry program, is designed to equip those seeking ordination in the UCC. Completion of PATHWAYS Level 2 program is a prerequisite.
- L3.1 Supervised Ministry Practicum II Fall (9 weeks)
- L3.2 Supervised Ministry Practicum II Spring (9 weeks)
- L3.3 Supervised Ministry Practicum II Summer (9 weeks)
- L3.4 Contemporary Homiletics
- L3.5 Ecological Theology
- L3.6 Professional Ethics
- L3.7 Contextual Theology
- L3.8 Theology of Gender and Sexuality
- L3.9 Practicing our Faith in Public Square
- L3.10 Capstone Seminar: Congregational Ministry & the Future Church
*Supervised Ministry (SM) is a 9-month long practicum which takes place concurrently with other courses in the Level 2 (or Level 3) program. It is divided into 3 sessions–Spring (9 wks.), Summer (9 wks.), and Fall (9 wks.)–with 2 week of break between sessions. Each SM session is equivalent to one course.